7 slices lean bacon
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup Dijon-style mustard
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) cold butter, cut into 6 pieces
Preliminaries: Place oven rack in middle position. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
1. Cook bacon in large skillet until crisp. Place on paper towels to drain and reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings. Finely chop bacon.
2. In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, combine water, mustard and 2 tablespoons bacon drippings. Process until just blended.
3. In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, combine flour, salt, baking powder and white pepper. Process to combine. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add mustard mixture and pulse until just blended. Add bacon and pulse one or two times, just enough to blend in bacon.
4. Place mixture on lightly floured work surface. With a floured rolling pin, roll dough to a 1/8-inch thickness. Dip 2-inch round cutter in flour and press into dough. Place rounds on 2 ungreased baking sheets. Gather scraps and roll out and continue to cut out as many rounds as possible.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to cooling racks.
Presentation: Serve with cheese and fruit.
Yield: about 80 crackers